This assignment will give you practice in critical reading, summary writing in its objective and critical forms, and evaluation of an article focusing on Canadian literature and culture.
The following is a list of articles published in Canadian Literature related to Funny Boy. Select one journal article from the list and write a critical summary. See “Writing a Critical Summary” for help.
- Andrew Lesk’s
Ambivalence at the Site of Authority
Keys to Remember:
- Summarize the thesis of the article.
- Evaluate the article’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Take a position for or against the argument presented in the article.
- Keep your summary concise without distorting the meaning of the original paper.
- Lesk, Andrew.
Ambivalence at the Site of Authority: Desire and Difference in Funny Boy.Canadian Literature 190 (2006): 31–46. Print. (PDF)
- Selvadurai, Shyam. Funny Boy: A Novel. San Diego: Harcourt Brace, 1997. Print.