This assignment will give you practice in critical reading, summary writing in its objective and critical forms, and evaluation of an article focusing on Canadian literature and culture.
The following is a list of articles published in Canadian Literature related to Goodnight Desdemona, Good Morning Juliet. Select one journal article from the list and write a critical summary. See
Writing a Critical Summary for help.
- Shannon Hengen’s
Towards a Feminist Comedy
- Melanie A. Stevenson’s
Othello, Darwin, and the Evolution of Race in Ann-Marie MacDonald’s Work
Keys to Remember:
- Summarize the thesis of the article.
- Evaluate the article’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Take a position for or against the argument presented in the article.
- Keep your summary concise without distorting the meaning of the original paper.
- MacDonald, Ann-Marie. Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet). Toronto: Vintage Canada, 1990. Print.
- Hengen, Shannon.
Towards a Feminist Comedy.Canadian Literature 146 (1995): 97–109. Print. (PDF)
- Stevenson, Melanie A.
Othello, Darwin, and the Evolution of Race in Ann-Marie MacDonald’s Work.Canadian Literature 168 (2001): 34–54. Print. (PDF)